How To Enjoy Your Job
Our time is the only commodity that we are given freely, can spend as we wish; but once spent, can never be returned. We spend approximately a third of our life sleeping (unless you’re a parent!) and another third working.
So what is the factor that keeps you happy in your work? What motivates you to keep showing up the next day, even when things are tough?
For some of us, it’s the work environment. For others, it’s the money; and for the lucky people it’s simply because they could not imagine doing anything else!
So what does our work mean to us personally and how can we stay motivated?
Here are some tips on how to enjoy your job whatever it may be.
- Try new challenges: Take on a new task, volunteer for a project. Changing routine will mean something different.
- List Pros and Cons: Look at how you can improve the cons and spend more time doing the things you love.
- Use your lunch breaks: Spend your lunch break doing something you like, read a book or shop online. Doing your favourite activities will lift your mood and help to enjoy your day.
- Help others: Become a mentor and help someone else with a project. Pass your knowledge to others, the satisfaction from helping someone else is a bonus!
- Entertain yourself while you work: Use your lunchtime to watch a show on your computer, listen to music.
- Get out of the office: If you can leave the office during your lunch break or even for an errand, it can be a nice break during your day.
- Decorate: Surround your office with your favourite things (within reason). Take your favourite meal for lunch, photos of your family; some people even have a pet goldfish!
- Take your annual leave: Work-a-holics listen up! Take your four weeks leave; you’re not much good to anyone if you’re burnt out. Rest, rejuvenate and come back to work energised and refreshed.
- Keep your work space tidy: Working in a clean office environment helps you enjoy your work.
- Work through lunch and leave early: If your workplace allows, it will give you something to look forward to during the day. Plan something extra that is fun, spend time with your family, spouse or doing something you love.
- Be supportive: Random acts of kindness or thoughtfulness towards others, do something nice for a co-worker who is going through a hard time. Others will appreciate your effort.
- Learn and grow: Spend time studying your field of employment and your company, being knowledgeable means people will seek out your expertise.
- Sleep well: Ensure that you get a good night’s rest each night. This impacts your attitude.
- Exercise: I know that you know we should all be doing this! Exercise is good for your body, mind and soul. It helps clear out your emotions and balances you.
- Schedule lunch with co-workers or friends: Gives you something to look forward to.
- Daydream: Use your lunch break to plan your next holiday, sometimes a little imagination is all it takes.
- Start an office tournament pool: Whether it be football, tennis or golf.
- Smile: It will improve your mood and others will enjoy your company.
- Fundraise through your job: Helping raise money for a good cause is not only fun, great for the company profile it’s a rewarding way to give back to your community.
No-one ever lay on their deathbed wishing they’d spent more time at work!